The national food of Italy, pizza has no nation, culture, race, sex, caste, or category of its own. It is just its taste that makes it popular and unique in different nations of the world. The most popular one being in Italy and America. If you confuse yourself between the two, we are here to help you.
The Italian pizza
The pizza had its origin in Italy and they can digest about 1.6 billion pizzas annually. Here are the famous Italian pizzas to taste.
- Pizza Napoletana – Soft cored pizza cooked at a 900-degree F in the wood oven.
- Pizza al tagilo – Baked in an electric oven with cheese, meat, and seafood.
- Pizza siciliana – Uses semolina, homegrown grains, cheese, pecorino siciliano. Avoid buffalo mozzarella.
- Pizza gourmet – Exceptionally thin, ultra-crisp and self-sustaining pizza.
- Pizza Romana Tonda – Stuffed with ricotta, provola, tomato, salami and deep-fried.
- Pizza frittata
- Pizza Alla pala/ pizza a metro
- Calzone – Topped with grated cheese, neck lard and basils primarily.
- Pizza Italiana
- Pizza Quattro stagioni – It is the famous type of classical Italian brick oven pizza.
The American pizza
You might be amazed to know that about 13 percent of Americans (every 1 in 8) eat pizza regularly. Moreover, an average American eats 46 slices a year or let us say 23 pounds annually.
Initially, American pizza was the creativity of Italian immigrants, but today every American city has its version of pizza.
- New York – they are known for their thin, wide and foldable crust. The hand-tossed pizza is topped with tomato sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese. The deck oven’s pizza is sliced into wider pieces.
- New Jersey – Cooked in the stone oven, it is similar to the New Yorker’s but has a better crackle.
- Chicago – Made from wheat or semolina flour.
- Louis – Features the infamous St. Louis cheese blend, provel (a mixture of white cheddar, swiss cheese, and provolone)
- Detroit – Made in square or even pans, with light and porous dough.
- New haven – The brick oven cooked pizza. Uses a long cooled and fermented dough.
- California – Famous for its toppings like quail eggs, goat cheese, caramelized onion, duck sausages, lobster, smoked salmon, capers, and creme fraiche.
The major difference between American and Italian pizza is –
- Method of Cooking/ baking